The 2011 Visiting Scholar Program at the Leather Archives & Museum
The Leather Archives & Museum [LA&M] announces the second annual Visiting Scholar Program for the Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 academic terms. A stipend of $1,000 to $1,500 will be awarded to one recipient scholar to conduct research using the collections of the LA&M. The amount of the award will be dependent on the scope of the proposed project. A $500 travel allowance and up to four weeknight accommodations will also be provided to the recipient.
The award is available to three types of scholars:
1) Scholars with academic appointments
2) Graduate students pursuing an MA, MFA or PhD
3) Independent scholars with an established research agenda.
The LA&M is seeking projects that may enhance the institution’s mission to disseminate information to the public about the history of the leather / fetish / BDSM community and its culture. Toward that end, we are particularly interested in proposals that may provide materials for display in its galleries, as a traveling exhibit or as an online exhibition.
March 15th, 2011 applications postmarked by this date.
April 30th, 2011 notification of award
Research to be conducted between September 2011 and April 2012.
– 33% of stipend and 100% of travel allowance paid at this time
A 300 to 500 word summary of the research visit and preliminary findings, able to be published by the LA&M, to be received by the LA&M between one and three months following visit. .
– 33% of stipend paid at this time
A list of publication and presentation opportunities for which work will be submitted, to be received by the LA&M not less than three months following the visit. Final stipend payment to be made upon acceptance of publication or presentation and receipt of a manuscript to be published or paper to be presented.
– 33% of stipend paid at this time.
Note that applications will be reviewed by individuals who may not be in your field of study. Care should be taken to write in a matter that is accessible to others. A complete application package will include:
1) A current vita. Include name, mailing address, phone number, email address and institutional affiliation (if applicable).
2) Project title and one paragraph abstract
3) A 1,500 to 2,000 word double-spaced descriptive narrative of the project
- a. What is the subject of the research?
- b. What is the scope of the project?
- c. What sources do you plan to use?
- d. What is the anticipated product of your research?
- e. What contribution to current historic or cultural research will this project make?
4) A separate page to address the following questions:
- a. How well will the result of your project be suited for publication in peer reviewed scholarly journals, in the LA&M’s publication The Leather Times, or as source material for an exhibition (either at the LA&M or online)?
- b. If this is part of a larger project, how much work have you completed to this point? What additional research will follow your visit to the LA&M?
- c. How many days of onsite research at the LA&M do you anticipate will be needed for your project? This is for planning purposes only, and will not be used to judge applications.
- d. How did you hear about the Visiting Scholar Program at the Leather Archives & Museum?
5) A letter of reference
A paper copy and electronic copy of the application package should be sent to:
Leather Archives & Museum
Visiting Scholar Program
6418 N Greenview Ave
Chicago, IL 60626