Postdoctoral Fellowship in Sexuality Studies (Social Scientific Approaches)
Deadline: February 15, 2011
The Gender Studies Program at Northwestern University invites applications for a two-year post-doctoral fellowship in social scientific approaches to sexuality studies, to run September 2011 – August 2013. Applications are welcome from scholars who study sexuality from a social science perspective (broadly construed). The Fellow will be affiliated with both the Gender Studies Program and a department at Northwestern, which must be either Anthropology, History, Human Development and Social Policy, Linguistics, Performance Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, or Sociology. That is, the Fellow must have relevant expertise in both sexuality studies and one of these fields, and must be prepared to teach courses that are cross-listed in both Gender Studies and the affiliated department.
The Fellow will pursue a program of independent scholarship under the guidance of a faculty mentor and will teach two undergraduate courses each year. The Fellow will also be expected to assist in the organization of on-campus educational activities such as an annual workshop, as part of a new interdisciplinary initiative on sexuality and health in social context.
Applicants must have completed all the requirements for the Ph.D. (or equivalent) by September 1, 2011, or have received their degree within the last five years. The stipend is $45,000 plus benefits in the first year of the fellowship and $46,350 plus benefits in the second year. In addition, the Fellow is eligible for $2,000 per year to fund research and conference travel, and up to $2,000 for allowable relocation expenses in the first year.
In order to ensure full consideration, all application materials must be received by February 15, 2011. Applicants should send the following materials in PDF format by email attachment to sexuality(at)northwestern.edu, with the subject heading of “Postdoc Application”:
1) A cover letter: Please briefly situate your work in relation to the field of sexuality studies. Please identify the department(s) with which you are qualified to be affiliated, from among the above list. Optionally, please identify a possible faculty mentor in that department or in Gender Studies. Please address the question of your experience within interdisciplinary academic environments.
2) a full curriculum vitae
3) a two-page summary of the dissertation
4) a two-page research plan for the fellowship period (this may include, but should extend beyond, revisions to the dissertation)
5) titles and short desc-riptions of at least two courses that you could teach and that might be appropriate for cross-listing between Gender Studies and your department
6) a writing sample consisting of either a dissertation chapter or an article
7) a full graduate school transc-ript from your doctoral-degree-granting institution
In addition, please arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent, either by email to the same address (subject heading: “Postdoc application letter of reference”), or by mail to Gender Studies Program, Sexuality Studies Postdoc, Northwestern University, Kresge Hall 2-321, Evanston, IL 60208-2211. One letter should be from the dissertation chair, and at least one should comment on teaching qualifications.
Administrative questions should be directed to Clare Forstie at sexuality(at)northwestern.edu. Substantive questions may be addressed to Héctor Carrillo at hector(at)northwestern.edu or Steve Epstein at s-epstein(at)northwestern.edu. For more information about any of the participating departments or programs, see http://offices.northwestern.edu/browse/A/academic.
AA/EOE: Applications from women and minorities are especially encouraged.